2015-2016 Global Undergraduate Exchange Program Announcement
The Global UGRAD Program provides scholarships for one semester of U.S. Study in a NON-DEGREE Program.The goals of the program are to provide a diverse groupof emerging student leaders, from non-elite and underrepresented groups in Indonesia and East Asia. The program is sponsored by the Office of Academic Exchange Programs in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U. S. Department of State.
All Global UGRAD Program participants will be enrolled full-time in undergraduate course work chosen from the institution’s (US) existing curriculum to allow students ample opportunity for ongoing interaction with U.S. Faculty and student peers, and for exposure to U.S. academic and classroom culture. To ensure that students succeed in their new academic environments, host institutions will offertailored instruction on topics including academic research and writing, critical thinking, time management, note taking, and studying for and taking tests. Participants will live on campus with American peers.
Participants will be provided with opportunities toparticipate in twenty hours of community service. There will also be a virtual arrival orientation and in-person end-of-program workshop. Additionally, an internship activity may be offered to participants during the academic component of the program.
- Scholarships will be granted to students who currently are enrolled in S-1 degree programs only, and have completed their first semester and up to their sixth semesterof undergraduate study at an Indonesian university.
- Applicants should demonstrate leadership potential through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities.
- Applicants must have minimum TOEFL prediction score of 500 which is less than two years old. An interview by a fluent Native English Speaker and Indonesian panelists will be conducted to confirm that the applicantwould be able to achieve that score when tested. Candidates must also meet all the requirements of the institution where admission is being sought.
- Preference will be given to those who have had little or NO experience in the U.S. or outside of their home countries.
- Applicants are expected to get involved in community service in their home community at the time ofthe application. If they have not got involved in it, their applicationshould show that they understand the importance ofcommunity work. They also have to show an inclination to volunteer while in US and upon returning home.
- Applicants are required to return to Indonesia after the completion of the program.
Required Documents that must be uploaded online:
- TOEFL score report.
- Two Letters of Reference. One reference has to be academic and written by a lecturer from the applicant’s major field of study. The second recommendation can be from another lecturer or from an employer, coach, or community work supervisor. Please note that family members and personal friends may not provide letters of recommendation.
- Photocopy of national ID (KTP)
- The latest university progress report / transcript in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
Please note that we do not accept hard copy application. Applicants must complete the online application on the following link: http://bit.ly/1IvQPL3. Once they finish their online application, please notify us through email at email@example.com.
Deadline: The deadline for the submission of application materials for the program is February 6, 2015.